WELCOME TO MY SPOT!

WELCOME TO MY SPOT!

If you were invited here, I only have one rule......be you, but be kind.

Remember these are my personal reflections and thoughts.
Feel free to comment, become a friend or follower, like or dislike, vote or share.

I welcome you.

Friday, December 09, 2011

DJ Don't

Recently at my job a group of us were working an event to elevate morale of the employees by passing out T-shirts and tickets to a college football game. Along with passing out those items we had to show team spirit and arouse the crowd waiting in line. To add to all of the excitement already included were snacks, beverages, cheers and chants, and a DJ. What did they have a DJ for?

Everything was going just fine when techno music and country songs were being played. Everyone seemed to be calm and enjoying the atmosphere and focused on their tasks of handing out items and checking for ID's for about a good hour or so. Well that wasn't enough. Our operation was going too smooth and we were ahead of schedule at the bare end of hand-outs....when the music changed.


They started playing songs with bass and beats. They were playing Hip Hop songs like Drop it Low, and Look at Me Now. All of us who are Black had that same look on our faces and we started shaking our heads. Our shoulders and chest begin to move. I was already finger popping and getting wound up...it starts and the top and you know what's going to happen next. The goal is not to let it go the hips. Please! Please! Please Lawd don't let it go to the hips!!! Especially not in front of all these white folks and.... On My Job! We all knew. We all knew the rules. We fought it and held out as long as we could. However, a gentleman member of our "National United Negro Association In Front These White Folks" (who shall remain nameless..(Lawrence)) took the daring lead and did something so clever to save us all, he asked the DJ to turn the music back to a different genre. We shot him a look of gratefulness and wiped the sweat from our brow. 

Don't they know? Certain music to "our kind" is mesmerizing and there's no escape. It matters not where you are, who's company you're in or what you are doing. I'm like the snake. When a snake charmer blows that stupid flute, I can't help it. I hear the call and I have to dance. And don't let it be MY JAM! Ohhhh Nooo! It's on and popping like fish grease! BUT...Not in front these white folks.... On...My...JOB!

2 comments:

L.Daniel said...

Thank you for sharing this.I will never forget my reaction. I almost felt like we were getting the the bar-b-que started. I look to my left and we got three beautiful ladies itching to "twerk". I felt my adrenaline kicking in, and I knew that this particular adrenaline was not appropriate for the work place. LOL! I was thinking, DJ we got to talk buddy.

Angie said...

You are so crazy!